Home  |  About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Subscribe
Search NSRC:      Advanced search  
Sexual Literacy Logo Sexual Literacy spacer American Sexuality Magazine Logo American Sexuality magazine spacer Sexual Research and Social Policy Logo Sexual Research and Social Policy spacer spacer spacer

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

City Manager in Largo, FL fired for being trans

UPDATE: The National Sexuality Resource Center has put up our 'Stand with Stanton' petition, calling on the City Commission in Largo, FL to reverse its un-American and bigoted decision to oust long-time city manager Steve Stanton. Please take action, and spread the word to your friends!

I was a little surprised when Steve Stanton came out as transgendered and then didn't take much heat for it last week. Well, it turns out I was right in my suspicions. The City Commission voted 5-2 last night to fire Stanton for being a 'distraction.'

"It's just painful to know seven days ago I was a good guy and now ... I have no integrity," Stanton told the commission. "My challenge here has always been that someday I was going to leave this organization. So I am going to do it with a smile on my face."


I'm appalled at this blatant act of workplace discrimination. NSRC will have more to say in a few hours about how YOU can take action on this issue. We're hoping that we can see the good in the bad, and that Stanton can become a transgendered champion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home