Home  |  About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Subscribe
Search NSRC:      Advanced search  
Sexual Literacy Logo Sexual Literacy spacer American Sexuality Magazine Logo American Sexuality magazine spacer Sexual Research and Social Policy Logo Sexual Research and Social Policy spacer spacer spacer

Friday, August 11, 2006

Sign a vision statement?

There is this new voice in the LGBT movement that thinks that the emphasis on marriage equality should end. A website called "Beyond Marriage" proposes a broader politics of household and partnership than marriage alone. That seems to be the crux of it. This is highlighted as the central statement:
We seek access to a flexible set of economic benefits and options regardless of sexual orientation, race, gender/gender identity, class, or citizenship status.
There is much of value in this statement that you can read here. I miss a discussion of sex. I really miss it from a group of people who are to progressive.

Here is my main question. You can sign this document. What does that mean? Usually when I sign something it is a petition, a document that asks of others to act in a particular way. Why would I sign this document, or rather, who do I ask to act and in what way? This question has no answer on the website and it puzzles me. I do notice that there are an large amount of academics (such as myself) who started all this. I know that they can think and make strong points. What I don't see in this website and document is any notion of a strategy, a building of movement. And I think that the method chosen, signing onto this document, tells us why. These are people who want others to act according to their lofty vision. What I want to know is what they are doing beyond stating what they think. What is their effort in movement building. Really, I want to know that.



Technorati Tags:
, , , , ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home