Home  |  About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Subscribe
Search NSRC:      Advanced search  
Sexual Literacy Logo Sexual Literacy spacer American Sexuality Magazine Logo American Sexuality magazine spacer Sexual Research and Social Policy Logo Sexual Research and Social Policy spacer spacer spacer

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Pharyngula: Evolution and homosexuality

Pharyngula: Evolution and homosexuality

I posted earlier about the Roughgarden book, and today found this *smart* piece discussing it. I certainly hope (but don't have his optimism) that evolutionary biologists are the flexible thinkers he says they are...

Here's a tidbit, but the whole post is worth reading!
Go ahead and read the article; I think Roughgarden makes a good case that this has considerable utility in social groups, and she's done some modeling that shows that this is, theoretically, a valid path to stable communities. There are objections that this requires group selection, which always puts an idea on shaky ground, but it seems to me that a willingness to settle problems erotically rather than in risky combat would also have possibilities of direct advantage to the individual.

Where I have reservations, though, is that it is a conclusion drawn from the premise that a common feature must have a genetic component. I don't see that. Show me that homosexuality is genetically heritable, and then this will be a more likely hypothesis.

Still, I generally agree with the idea that sexual activity is about far more than just reproduction. I think you'd be very hard pressed to find any biologist who finds that in the least controversial.
Technorati tags: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home