Home  |  About Us  |  Contact Us  |  Subscribe
Search NSRC:      Advanced search  
Sexual Literacy Logo Sexual Literacy spacer American Sexuality Magazine Logo American Sexuality magazine spacer Sexual Research and Social Policy Logo Sexual Research and Social Policy spacer spacer spacer

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Super Tuesday and the Missing Gay Vote


I have to admit I am a bit of an election returns junkie, no doubt an afterglow from my days as a precinct captain in many elections in the late 80s and early 90s. It was a pleasant surprise to see regular folks, and not just the political pundits, truly excited about the election.

And all those numbers and bar graphs - chills down my spine. Women for Clinton, youth for Obama, evangelical Christians for Huckabee and not Romney. And those moments of self-realization - I am on the generational cusp, which explains many things I won't go into here!

Back to my normal self in the morning, I had the sudden realization that even with all the talk - and how those commentators talk - there are some folks who don't get talked about. Like not one mention of the "gay vote" or gay - or even "anti-gay marriage," which was so center stage four years ago.

It can't be that there aren't enough gays to matter - there are more gays than Mormons and Jews combined, and I've heard about both the Mormon and Jewish vote this year. And given that gays vote disproportionately vote for Democrats, and the democratic presidential race is so close, it would seem the gay vote could play a pivotal role in both the Democratic primary and the general election.

Am I missing something here?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home